Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Carpet Crawlers

I'm a huge movie buff. I've seen thousands of movies. I've seen a lot of funny movies. I have never seen a movie funnier than The Big Lebowski. What is strange is that upon first viewing, I enjoyed it, but didn't yet fully appreciated its genius. It was only after a second viewing that my laughter became explosive. I think this was because as I watched it for the first time, I was trying to follow the plot and figure out where the story was heading. I realized this wasn't the point, something I perhaps should have figured out earlier since it revolves around a rug that "really tied the room together." In this movie plot is secondary to the characters and their dialog, and this movie has probably the greatest dialog ever committed to screen. An argument could be made for Pulp Fiction, which I also love, but in my opinion, the dialog in Lebowski is a bit more memorable, and generally funnier. Here is one of my favorite exchanges:

The Big Lebowski: Are you employed, sir?
The Dude: Employed?
The Big Lebowski: You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that? On a weekday?
The Dude: Is this a... what day is this?

It sums up The Dude quite nicely. He is unemployed and has no idea what day of the week it is. I also love the fact that he post dates a check at the beginning of the movie for 69 cents. By my calculations he writes the check on the 8th, and post dates it for the 11th. Fantastic!

Here's the trailer, which may be the only thing about this film that isn't full of expletives.




Transmission out.

No comments:

Post a Comment