Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Well Thought-Out Twinkles

Anyone who knows me very well would probably describe me as a musical snob. I am very opinionated when it pertains to music (actually, to movies and tv as well), and find it difficult to refrain from telling people what they should be listening to. As this is my blog, and you are actually reading it, here are a few bands you should really get to know.

The first is Vampire Weekend. They have been described as having a sound similar to Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints. I'm not sure about that, but their music is clever and infectious. Here is "A-Punk", from their self-titled debut.



The next band has a sound similar to The Smashing Pumpkins. Silversun Pickups are a great band, particularly is you love fuzzy guitars and spacey sounds. This is "Future Foe Scenarios", from their album Carnavas.



Next we have Fleet Foxes, whose sound is a throwback to 1960s/70s folk music, but with a bit of rock thrown in for good measure. Their music is incredibly complex and mature for a band that just released its first album. This is "Blue Ridge Mountains," from their self-titled debut.



Finally, I'll throw in a band that I admittedly know little about, but there is a song from their most recent album that I just love. The band is Copeland, and the album is You Are My Sunshine. The song is called "The Day I Lost My Voice (The Suitcase Song)," and it is very good. The guest vocalist on the song, Rae Cassidy, is only 15 years old! She is crazy good.



I urge everyone to search a little harder for good music. Unfortunately most radio stations are only interested in playing the same few songs over and over. Programs like Napster are a good way to check out new music, or even youtube, as evidenced by these clips. I used to think that good music just wasn't being created any more, but that's not true. Its just not being played on the radio.

Transmission out.

No comments:

Post a Comment